What side of the tree does moss grow on? Does the sun rise due east all year around? In what direction is the sun at noon? These questions and more will be answered during our Natural Navigation class.
- Learn to identify North, East, South & West day and night without a compass
- Maintain a direction through the woods without a compass
- Dispel and clarify some misconceptions about natural navigation indicators
We will be using sun, moon, stars, a watch and more to determine north, east, south & west without a compass (or cell phone app). We will begin the day at sunrise and finish after sunset. This class is designed for those interested in natural cycles that produce patterns by which we can navigate.
Professionally presented classroom sessions will be followed by exercises outside that put the concepts you learn to use. Most of the class will be spent outside, and some at night, so bring appropriate clothing. Lodging and meals not provided, but local camping areas and hotel information will be provided upon request or registration. Please consider attending the Day of Land Navigation class which follows this class to practice navigation techniques using map, compass, natural indicators, GPS and more.
- Target Audience: S.A.R. volunteers, Hikers, Hunters, Outdoors Enthusiasts, Boy Scouts, you
- Class Time : Course will start at 9am (with breaks for meals) and end at 9pm (with optional sunrise gathering at 6:30am)
- Optional equipment: Compass, notebook, camp chair for fire circle
- Course Fee: $65
- NEXT CLASS: Saturday September 23, 2017 in Christiansburg, Virginia
Pay for your September 2017 Course now